Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1878 on land provided by Albermarle Cator. It was financed by Francis Peek (of Peek Frean’s bisuits) as a memorial to his parents. The architects were H. Daukes and E.F.C. Clarke.
Daukes was an admirer of Pugin and his church designs reflect his interest in neo-Norman and perpendicular styles. His repertoire as an architect was wide. Clarke specialised mainly in promoting the Gothic revival in church architecture, hence their collaboration and friendship. Both were members of the Ecclesiology Society.
The church is built of Kentish ragstone with white stone dressings. The western tower was added in 1883, containing one bell. In 1904 a brass eagle lectern was presented by a Mr W. Church. How the interior looked originally:
Holy Trinity reflects aspects of Daukes and Clarke’s joint interest in the Gothic revival with its decorative features such as the Antonio Salviati mosaic reredos above and between each arch. Salviati was a lawyer who became a Venetian artist specialising in Venetian artistic glass and decorative mosaics. He made a strong contribution to the English Gothic revival. Sadly, most of the mosaics were destroyed in an arson attack in 1993.
The church survived the attack and has been tastefully restored with a beautiful meditation garden where the apse was.
The church plays an active role in the community. The Reverend Nick Read supports many local projects. A weekly food bank centre for the homeless is organised in connection with the Living Well initiative and a Friday meal is prepared for those in need.
The church also liaises with the Friends of Cator and Alexandra for their summer Music in the Park event and the annual December Carols in the Park. In turn, The Friends have raised money for Living Well.
Halls within the church can be hired for music concerts, poetry readings, and Annual General meetings.
The war memorial in the church grounds is a Grade ll nationally-listed building. The memorial is built of Portland Stone and in 2016 it was cleaned and the lettering repaired.
Historic England has this to say about the memorial:
‘Tall cross of Portland stone, resting on an octagonal pillar atop an octagonal plinth. The front face of the plinth bears the inscription: TO THE / GLORY OF / GOD / AND IN / GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF / ALL FROM / THIS PARISH / WHO FELL / IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918; the other eight faces bear the names of the Fallen. The plinth rests on a two-step octagonal base.
The memorial was raised in Penge at Holy Trinity Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. It was unveiled on 19 February 1921 in a ceremony attended by Reverend Canon Henry Arnott and the Grenadier Guards. The Venerable Archdeacon of Rochester Donald Tait was due to be officiating but was forced to withdraw on the morning of the 19 due to a family bereavement. The memorial cost a total of £224.14.
Penge (Holy Trinity) War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War;
Design: as an imposing and well executed Portland stone cross war memorial.’
The war memorial is one of several in Penge and one of two listed as Grade ll.
Holy Trinity Church SE20
British Listed building Penge Holy Trinity War Memorial
War Memorials Online
British Listed Buildings Penge Holy Trinity War Memorial Penge and Cator Ward